MedStar Health specializes in the detection and latest treatments of all types of genitourinary or urologic cancers, which affect the organs, glands and passageways of the urinary and reproductive systems. Across our network, we offer a full range of services personalized to you and your unique case.
Your MedStar team applies the newest research to give you the best chance of survival, including access to treatments through clinical trials. We also track and treat rare cases that less coordinated care centers might not. The urologic cancers we treat include:
Male-Specific Urologic Cancers
- Prostate cancer develops in a male reproductive gland about the size and shape of a walnut. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men, but is quite treatable when detected early.
- Testicular cancer is cancer that develops in one or both testicles. Though it can occur at any age, it's more common in younger men. Most often, it is confined to one testicle. Monthly testicular self-exams for lumps or changes in the testicles help with early detection and, typically, full recovery.
- Penile cancer is typically found on the foreskin or the glans (head) of the penis. There are no widely recommended screening tests for penile cancer, but many cancers can be detected early and treated.
Cancers That Affect Everyone
- Bladder cancer occurs most frequently in older adults, but anyone can be diagnosed. The cancer most commonly develops in the lining of the bladder. Early detection is common as an initial symptom, blood in the urine, is easy to spot.
- Kidney cancer is sometimes difficult to detect and there is no current regular screening. Renal cell carcinoma is the most common type of kidney cancer in adults.
- Urethral cancer forms in the tube that carries urine from the bladder. In men, the urethra travels through the penis and also carries semen. Though men carry a higher risk than women, urethral cancer is rare.
- Adrenal cancer, also known as adrenal gland cancer, affects the adrenals, small glands that sit on top of each kidney.
Are you struggling with a new urologic cancer diagnosis? Need a second opinion or more advanced care? Call 1-877-715-HOPE or find a urologic cancer specialist.
Urologic Cancer Care at MedStar Health Cancer Network
For a physician referral, please call 1-877-715-HOPE.
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Cancer Institute
9103 Franklin Square Drive
Baltimore, MD 21237
MedStar Good Samaritan Hospital
5601 Loch Raven Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21239
MedStar Harbor Hospital
The Cancer Center
3001 South Hanover St.
Baltimore, MD 21225
MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
3333 North Calvert St.
Johnston Professional Bldg
Baltimore, MD 21218
MedStar Health Bel Air Medical Campus
12 MedStar Blvd.
Bel Air, MD 21015