MedStar Heart Institute’s cardiac surgeons have a reputation as the best in the region and among the finest in the nation—that has a lot to do with our commitment to a team approach to care. Our cardiac surgeons work in teams with other cardiac experts, including cardiac imaging specialists, interventional cardiologists, pulmonologists, radiologists, and nurses to complete the entire picture for each patient.
The advantage of experience
We are one of the highest volume cardiac surgery centers in the central Maryland and Washington regions. Volume and experience also translate into best practices based on outcomes. Our entire team sees a large number of patients per year. We continually refine surgical techniques, so you receive the least invasive surgical option that will also bring the best long-term results.
Better patient care
We have compiled a cardiac surgery database containing data on more than 60,000 cases from the past 30 years. This unique resource helps us continually improve patient care. It gives our physicians a direct window on the practices and approaches that produce the most successful outcomes for our patients. Few cardiac centers have anything like it.
Our information management and communications capabilities are powerful resources for integrating MedStar Heart Institute services and locations, from enabling real-time sharing of patient images and data to supporting electronic medical records. This means you can receive advanced cardiac care no matter your location-at one of our sister hospitals, or at one of our satellite locations.
Advanced heart surgical care
Consider these facts:
- The Society for Thoracic Surgeons awarded us three stars, its highest rating, based on quality and outcomes.
- Nearly half of our CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft) procedures are performed off-pump (without using a heart and lung machine), which speeds recovery and reduces bleeding, neurologic impairment and other complications.
- We are the only hospital in the region to offer the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR), a minimally invasive procedure performed for severe aortic stenosis.
- Our patients have access to clinical trials in better methods to prevent and treat cardiac and vascular disease.
Read more about the ways in which MedStar Heart Institute cares for your heart.
- Aneurysm Repair
- Beating Heart Bypass
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Surgery
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Heart Transplant
- Leadless Defibrillator: Subcutaneous Implantable Defibrillator
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD)
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
Order a free health kit about our cardiac surgery program.